Sunday, May 24, 2009

Fes












I decided to make Fes my only stop in Morocco because it seemed a city steeped in history. And it is, over 1100 years of it. It is so easy to get lost in the Medina that a guide is pretty necessary. But beware, there are scams here. More about that in my next post.
In the photos, I think the guy in the photo with the eggs is really Tom from Mill Creek. I guess he must have lost his job and is now selling his eggs on the street in Fes! He is making farting sounds with his armpits - soooo Tom.
Because the streets are so narrow, donkeys and hand carts are still the primary mode of moving goods through the Medina. I did get almost bowled over by the donkeys a couple of times, but what really bowled me over were the smells!
The pits are part of the tannery. Lots of great smells there!
Tomorrow I head to the Atlas mountains for a day and then back to Madrid.