Saturday, June 20, 2009

Athens











Our tour guide on the walking tour of Athens started out by asking us how much longer we were all staying in Athens. Then he said "hopefully for not much more than today, because you will have seen all that is worth seeing and there is no reason to stick around Athens." He was right. Still, seeing the Parthanon, Olympic Stadium and changing of the guards at the President's house and the Tomb of the Unkown Soldiure was worth the visit. Besides, Athens is on the route I have choosen and there are some nice islands worth visiting. Enjoy the photos. Also, I would love to get any comments, even if it is just to say hi. I look for comments each time I check the site and it would be nice to hear from you.
In my view of the Parthenon, I think Zues got the better deal even though his building is much smaller than Athena Nike's (incidentally, I assume that where the Nike corporation came up with the name? - I think it means victory in Greek). Her temple looks to be all columns, whereas Zues at least got some maidens (in the photo)to hold up part of his temple. The scale of the columns is pretty incredible when you consider these things were built by hand.
On to the Islands!